A Moose Hunt in New Brunswick
corner, hunting knives, hunting knife, hunting home, hunting knives, hunting knife, hunting support, hunting knives, hunting knife, hunting Warranties, hunting knives, hunting knife, hunting Trophy Room, hunting knives, hunting knife, hunting Hunting Articles, hunting knives, hunting knife, hunting Wild Game Recipes, hunting knives, hunting knife, hunting menu-filler,hunting knives, hunting knife, hunting Hunting Knife Shopping Cart top-menuRow1xCol10.gif menu-right-corner,

BBB A+ Rating

A Moose Hunt in New Brunswick

A Moose Hunt in New Brunswick


A Moose Hunt in New Brunswick

By Adolph Cappali

Being a constant reader of your magazine, and reading so many stories in them about moose hunting, I have finally summoned enough courage to write of my last season's trip to New Brunswick.

My friend Joseph Pepe, hereafter known as "Pap" and myself planned our trip early in the summer. So on the 4th day of October 1920, we both heard the call of the wild, so we got our guns and ammunition ready. Pap bringing his prize, a 401 Winchester automatic and I my only reliable gun, the New Springfield, with a sporting stock. All we brought along was the guns, ammunition, binoculars, extra clothing and camera. We left Providence, R. I., October 4th, 1920, at 5 p. m., arriving in Boston at 6:30 p. m., taking the 7:00 p. m. train for Gaspareaux station, N. B., our destination. We arrived at Gaspareaux the following morning at 11:45, and there was our friend and guide John McAleer waiting for us with a smile on, and looking good and healthy, so we entered the guide's wagon and drove to his home some twelve miles from the station. On arriving at his home, we had a hearty dinner, prepared by Mrs. John McAleer, which, believe me, was good and tasty. So after dinner we started for the camp, arriving there late that night, and after making a fire, we got into our bunks to have a good rest.

The next day we were up bright and early had bacon and eggs, toast and coffee. All meals, it must be remembered, were furnished through our guide, so, as I was saying, after breakfast we started our first day's hunt. Crossing a lake, we walked about two miles when the guide sat down to give his call. So we crept to within 75 yards of the bull and Pap had a wonderful shoulder shot, and he took careful aim, and with his "little big" 401 let drive, The bullet going through both shoulders and the heart. But this Bull Moose ran strong about 20 yards until Pap let go again his 401 and down came Mr. Moose, with a spread of 52 inches and Pap was a proud man, for that was the largest moose he had ever killed, and now I must say I was a little jealous to stand there and not be able to shoot at this big fellow. We cleaned him and cut the head off, and left everything else for the next day, as it was getting dark. We went back to our camp on A. lake, had a hearty supper; and how contented Pap was. Now Pap had his license filled on moose so he decided to go for deer and bear, while guide and I went out to get my Bull Moose.

On the ninth day guide McAleer and I crossed East Long Lake to camp No. 2 and hunted there. Along about 4 o'clock in the afternoon the guide started calling but no moose answered—it -being too warm—so we decided to go back to camp. But we had not gone 100 yards when my guide told me to let him have it. But I did not see the Bull Moose, until he pointed out that big black object standing broadside about 50 yards in front of us. He was standing so still and it was so dark. I could hardly see it, but 1 let go my Springfield and it spoke twice, and that big black object seemed to sway back and forth as if it was going to fall, so I let drive the other three shots at him. But he started to go off rapidly, and with the aid of our pocket light we saw that he was bleeding hard, so we decided to take the trail the next morning, and we headed for camp No. 2. Pap had a supper ready for us, and after supper we went to bed, for Pap and I were tired. The next day we followed the tracks of the moose I shot the night before, some half- mile or so and lost it. We gave it up for a bad job. So now I was more determined than ever.

On the tenth day we saw a cow moose and Bull Moose, but the bulls were too small. So on the 14th day we left for camp No. 3 on Caribou lake, and on the 15th day the guide and I started out again and tramped all day with out a sign of a bull moose; but on the sixteenth day about three o'clock in the afternoon we headed for the cove in the upper end of East Long lake and the guide and I picked out a good spot to call. He called for about one hour and a half, but the warm weather was raising cane with the calls, so we were about to give it up when we heard the crack of a twig and a grunt to the right of us on the other side of the cove. So the guide with his horn commenced to grunt easily, and out came my bull moose, grunting every now and then and when he turned a little so that I could get a shoulder shot, I let my Springfield speak twice and that bull moose crumpled up and started off through the heavy woods. I let go the other three shots, but he was hard hit at first. Both the first two bullets hitting the shoulders and one passing through the heart and lungs. His spread was smaller than Pap's, measuring49 inches, but set much nicer. This being a birch moose, and Pap's was a spruce moose. Well, we commenced to clean and carried the head back to camp and Pap was glad to see that I got mine.

Now we decided to go after bear. So the next day we moved our supplies to camp No. 4 on Disappointment Lake. We hunted bear for the next twelve days, but we only saw one and he was some seventy yards from us and we both let drive at him and the way he acted he must have been hard hit, but we trailed him about four or five miles and lost him. On the 28th day we decided to come home, for we could not get any bucks or deer. During the whole trip we did not have one day of rain and when one would walk the dry leaves would crack under the pressure of our weight and the deer would keep five or ten minutes ahead of us. Therefore, on account of not having any rain it made it so bad for hunting that we decided to quit, so we left Garpareaux, New Brunswick, Canada, October 30, 1920, bidding our friend and guide Mr. John McAleer, whom I consider one of the best guides in New Brunswick, good-bye until the next season opens, and now I have put my gun and clothing in my case for the next season.

Hunter-Trader-Trapper. October: 1921,

Are you aware that Google is offering +1 to Everyone? Share your +1 with Every One of Your Friends by looking for the +1 on websites everywhere!"

If you liked this site, click

Hunting Knives - Hunting Knife

Hunting Knives

Privacy Policy by TRUSTe

HuntingBlades.com is Secure

Order Online 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week, 365 Days a Year

Online Since 2004

9" Fillet Knife - Clam

Kit of 3 Mini Dmnd Whetstone/Shth

Mini-Alpha Hunter Drop point

Elite Skinner II G-10 Skinner



Hassle Free Returns

Frequently Asked Questions