Firearm safety is everyones job, it needs to be practiced not only on the range but any time you are using or holding a gun. By keeping a few simple rules in mind while hunting or shooting we can all help to ensure our sport is fun and safe.
1. Always treat your firearm as though it is loaded.
2. Never point your firearm at something you are not willing to harm. There is a difference between a spotting scope and a rifle scope, do not use the latter to look around, buy a good set of binoculars for that. This may seem like common sense, but more than once I have had other hunters put their rifle scopes on me to see who I was, not a good feeling having a high powered rifle pointing at you
3. Keep your safety on until you are sure you are going to shoot, once you take the shot, put the safety back on.
4. Clearly identify your target, if you are not sure, don't shoot. Every year someone is injured because another hunter did not take the time to identify the target. It is not the many memories or friends made that make it into the newspaper, only the tragedies.
5.Unload your firearm before: crossing streams, fences or climbing in or out of your treestand.
6. Wear ear protection when hunting, I know we all like to hear approaching animals, but your hearing once damaged will not come back. A good set of amplifying earmuffs don't cost much and block out harmful sounds while amplifying softer noises.
|Are you aware that Google is offering +1 to Everyone? Share your +1 with Every One of Your Friends by looking for the +1 on websites everywhere!" |
If you liked this site, click
Order Online 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week, 365 Days a Year